493 views

We signed up for an account, paid the whole year amount, and put on our product, a (physical) book.

We make a sale, send the book.

After a few days, we receive a message from GumRoad that the sale has been disputed:

"A customer of yours (_customer's email_) has disputed their purchase of _Name of our product_. We have deducted the amount from your balance, and are looking into it for you.

Sometimes, a customer will dispute a charge with their bank because they don't recognize "Gumroad" on their credit card transaction. We have contacted the customer about this, and have asked them to contact you (if they have a legitimate issue) or their bank (to cancel the dispute).

We fight every dispute. Feel free to send us additional information we can use to fight the dispute; if we succeed, you will automatically be re-credited the full amount. This process takes up to 75 days.

You'll get another notification once we have won the dispute. If you haven't received that notification, we have not yet won this dispute."

It looked fair enough so we didn't worry.

The day after, an email from Gumroad announces that:

"Your Gumroad premium plan has been successfully cancelled.

We're sad to see you go! We hope you continue to use Gumroad with our free plan.

It would be incredibly valuable to us if you could reply to this email with the reasons you decided to cancel. Thanks!"

Then Gumroad sent us the refund for the premium account.

I could not understand what happened, and asked my business partner if she cancelled the account. Nope.

So I asked Gumroad what happened, and this was their answer:

"Unfortunately, due to a high chargeback rate, we have had to suspend your account and sales. Your chargeback rate now greatly exceeds the 1% per sales volume limit that is the acceptable standard in the payments industry."

I was stunned, as we had our account open for less than 2 weeks and made 1 total sale! Plus, their email said they were going to contact the client.

Even more mysterious is this line in their email:

"After you reply to this email, your account will be un-suspended and your products will be un-published until the next payout. At that point, your account will be re-suspended and you will lose access to it."

I still don't get what it means.

They said I had a week to download a recap of our sales, but the account was canceled immediately so no access to anything.

I wrote to the customer, who confirmed she asked for a refund by mistake, but then canceled it. So we should be all clear.

Today, after two months, still no trace of our money.

I wrote them to ask for an invoice for the membership payment as we need it in any case even if we've been refunded, and their answer was: "You were refunded for it."

I asked for our money, and again for the invoice, and the answer was: "Why would we pay you for anything? You made one sale and it resulted in a chargeback."

We only lost 30 EUR in the process plus shipping costs so we are not going to cry over this.

I just want to make sure nobody uses this company and risk losing more!

Stay away from Gumroad!

From then on,

Product or Service Mentioned: Gumroad Premium Membership.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Preferred solution: Have the money we earned through our sales.

Comments

Gumroad not sending payment. Gumroad = Scam.

Gumroad Reviews