378 views

I had a limited-run product available for pre-order in November 2019. I did around $100 in sales before fees, and I made sure to read through the payout policies so that I knew when to expect my payment.

Per their own website: "Gumroad pays its sellers every Friday via Direct Deposit (for creators in the USA, Canada, the UK, and Australia)"

Since I am in one of those countries, I was expecting my payment pretty soon.

A couple weeks passed. I made a random sale on a digital product I'd put up, neat! Maybe that would kick the payout process into gear.

A couple more weeks passed. I checked on my bank details and re-entered them just in case I'd mistyped something.

Another couple of weeks passed.

Finally, I reached out to Gumroad via support asking about my payment.

A few days later, a "Your payout is on its way!" email magically appeared in my inbox, but there was no response to my support request. No, "Sorry about the delay," no explanation, nothing.

I work in customer service, and I am appalled at not only the delay of a month and a half (my most recent sale came a couple weeks after my last sale on the launch product), but the complete lack of acknowledgement and apology for it.

Product or Service Mentioned: Gumroad Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Gumroad Pros: Easy purchases, Easy shop set up, Easy to use interface.

Gumroad Cons: Not paying creators according to their own payout schedule, Not answering customer service requests.

Comments